INFORMATION - Facts about Stucco
Why STUCCO is Better than Other Finishes
The Consumer's Stucco Handbook
- Makes homes and buildings comfortable by preventing air infiltration.
- Reliable and sure fire protection.
- Stops sound transmission better.
- Can be applied to conform to any shape or design.
- Barrier to termites, insects, and vermin.
- Lasts the life of a building and makes it worth more.
- Easy to maintain - cuts maintenance costs entirely.
- Easy to repair in case of impact damage.
- Can be re-decorated in any desired color.
- Creates an ambience that gives a home 'personality'.
- Just looks better than any other exterior.
- A stucco exterior is the ultimate - no surface to burn, no smoke to develop, no hazards.
- Easy to clean with water, brush, and mild detergent.
- Repairs are easy to make and are economical.
- Hard, tough plaster offers security, protects interiors from the weather.
- John Bucholtz P.E. Historical Facts are Frequently Ignored, Overlooked or Unknown
Tests for stucco permeability have been performed since 1981. These tests prove beyond any doubt that stucco generally is waterproof. Only when stucco is adulterated by an applicator who may or may not know better is there passage of water through it. But just pick any stucco job at random and odds are extremely high that it will prove to be resistant to water passage unless it is severely cracked.
Here are the advantages of portland cement plaster (stucco) exterior finishes on all kinds of buildings
- Weatherproof. Properly mixed and applied stucco DOES NOT permit passage of water through it.
- Can be configured to any design requirement
- Fireproof. Stucco provides a one-hour fire resistance rating.
- Durable. Lasts the life of the building
- Little or no maintenance. Stucco does not need to be painted. When a stucco surfaces gets dirty, it can be cleaned with a garden hose
- Any desired texture or finish - limited only by imagination
- Noise resistant. The mass of stucco controls noise better than other finishes.
- Economical. Low cost compared to other finishes means buildings can be constructed faster, cheaper.
- Attractive. Stucco finishes present pleasing aesthetics in any environment
- For homes, it can be applied to keep up with production. One week from start to finish.
- Easily repaired. Damage to stucco finishes can be remedied easily at negligible cost.
- Protection. A lath and plaster assembly resists penetration in a short time, and requires tedious work to get through.
- Does not need repainting. If a new color is desired, a stucco fog coat can be applied at lost cost.
John J. Bucholtz, P.E.,
Consultant and Publisher of Techniques and Comments
1745 Saratoga Av., Suite A, San Jose, CA 95129
Dryvit EIF Systems - 84% More Energy Efficient Than Any Other Wall System
Dryvit EIFS walls out-perform all other cladding in independent tests conducted by ORNL
Another expensive winter is ahead for homeowners, and high energy costs are once again to blame. As Americans continue to get savvy about long-term energy efficient options (from hybrid cars to energy-saving lightbulbs), one thing they may have overlooked is their homeâ€™s exterior.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) â€“ the nationâ€™s pre-eminent scientific research company has rated Dryvit EIFS walls more â€œthermally efficientâ€ than any other competing wall system. This rating was based on rigorous and independent testing of seven common cladding systems.
When tested against brick, glass, stucco, concrete, wood and masonry, Dryvit exterior insulation and finish systems (EIFS) achieved an 84% higher R-value than the next best-performing cladding. The R-Value considers the thermal performance of the entire wall construction (material discontinuities and thermal bridging effects) and effects from transition details (areas such as windows, doors, roof and floor lines).
Performance and Value
Homeowners seeking energy efficiency, performance and style from their homeâ€™s exterior have an all-inclusive option in Dryvit EIFS.
â€¢ The thermal efficiency of a Dryvit EIF system can translate into real home energy savings of anywhere from 20 to 40% annually.
â€¢ Dryvit residential EIF systems can be backed by a warranty as long as the standard mortgage (30 years).
â€¢ Dryvit finishes can be colored and textured to accommodate any taste â€“ from the contemporary look of stucco to conventional styles like brick and limestone.